Use TED-ed to achieve NY State LOTE Standards


Recently I am exploring the TED-ed and thinking about how I can use it to help my students learn Chinese. Here is a TED-ed I created, talking about Chinese pictographs and how they can help us memorize Chinese characters.

Here are some objectives based on NY State LOTE Standards I think the students can achieve through this TED-ed lesson.

LOTE.ML.1.1.A.A
Students can comprehend language consisting of simple vocabulary and structures in face-to-face conversation with peers and familiar adults.

Students can learn some Chinese characters and simple words in the video with a deeper understanding of the meaning. When the lecturer includes these words in her speech, students should be able to understand the meanings.
After this TED-ed lesson, I will provide more practice for these new words in a meaningful contexts, and students will be able to acquire the sound and the shape of these characters. I will ask them several questions with these words to see if they can comprehend.

LOTE.ML.1.2.A.A
Students can understand the main idea and some details of simple informative materials written for native speakers.

Many Chinese characters are pictographs, and those pictures can help students memorize the written Chinese. I will create a matching quiz including sentences with these new words, and corresponding pictures. Students’ reading ability can be tested in this way.

LOTE.ML.2.1.A.A
Students can use key cultural traits of the societies in which the target language is spoken.

The lecturer and the additional articles talk about the origin and history of Chinese characters, and how these common characters are created. Students will be able to know that Chinese is a pictograph language, while English is an alphabetic language, and this is the biggest difference between two languages. I also started a discussion in the TED-ed lesson for students to check whether they have learned any trait of Chinese language.

TED-ed is a good platform for teachers to share a video with students and provide following practice for students before or after class. It also can be a part of flipped classroom mentioned in my last post.

Comments

  1. I think you are right, this can be an essential part of a flipped classroom. What a cool video! I really felt like learning the Chinese characters felt a lot easier after watching the video. I am imagine students would take a real liking to it as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts