Are You a 21st Century Teacher?

Have you built a class website with your students before? Have you used interactive white board activities with your students before? Have you researched your learning resources online before? If you have done these things or empowered students digitally in some way, you are a 21st century teacher. Congratulations!


In this technology- rich environment nowadays, we teachers should have a vision of 21st century teachers. This video inspired me a lot because it shows how teachers bring technology into their teaching and classrooms in multiple ways. I have tried some of them, and there are many ways which I would like to try, for an instance, blogs. I have tried blogs for learning as a student, that is what I am doing now. However, I have never let my students write blogs before. I will definitely try it in the future because every student can speak up here, even the shy students who are not very willing to answer questions in class. I also like the idea of creating digital books about themselves and their world. As 21st century teachers, we need to know how to enrich our students’ learning styles and how to let them have a sense of global community.

Are you ready to face education change challenges now? The world never stops changing, so does our teaching. With technology being improved rapidly, our class and teaching should adapt to the changes and take advantage of technology all the time. After watching the video, I started to recall how technology has changed my learning and teaching. When I was in my elementary school, the only digital device was a television, and teachers only used it to play videos for fun. When I went to the secondary school, teachers started to present their teaching materials through projectors. Digital white board came to my classroom when I was in my high school, and I still remember how excited I was when I saw it first time. Now, I am a teacher in an international school, and there are tons of digital devices my students and I can use. We teachers should have the ability of adaption and be brave enough to embrace the updating technology so that we can create life-long learners who are willing to accept new things too.

If you are waiting to use technology in the future, don’t wait! The future starts now! ICT (Information and communication technology) can motivate students’ interests to make our students become better learners. When students realize these technologies can be excellent tools for learning and they feel comfortable to use them in class, they will be smarter and more engaged learners. ICT is good to be used in any subject, so all of 21st century teachers, don’t hesitate to use it!


"Who dares to teach must never cease to learn"--- John Cotton Dana

Comments

  1. Your post pretty much summed up the reason why I chose Education and Technology for my Masters program. Trying to keep up with the ever changing technology is challenging, but exciting as well. I feel like learning the technology will allow teachers to "work smarter, not harder" Technology can make the most tedious of tasks into one that takes five minutes. Our students will be working with the latest technologies in their future careers and we strive to prepare them the best we can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so jealous of all of you and your experiences with educational technologies as students! We had nothing as kids.We got movies occasionally from BOCES and that was such a big deal. Film strips were the end-all-be-all...nap time! We had an AV club in HS. To this day, I could not tell you what they did. I think they cleaned the Apple IIe's that they wheeled around on carts; we had I think 4 for the entire junior and senior high school where I went. There is so much more my creative teachers could have and would have been done. I wonder what some of them think of education now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can really resonate with how technologies came into our classroom while we were learning, but in retrospect, the disheartening fact is that I think those gadgets might only physically enter our classroom, not as an integral part of our teaching pedagogy. I do appreciate computers are used to present PowerPoint and video with the help of projector, but I have always been asking myself, there must be something more they can do in the classroom, something more interactive and something that can keep out students fully engaged. In this sense, I believe we should always be aware of the difference between make use of technology and make GOOD use of technology.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt that way too when my teachers began to make the transition from overhead projectors to PowerPoints. If you are interested or unaware, this topic was also touched on in one of the other videos available to us in the syllabus called Future Learning.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts