Diigo vs. Pinterest: Two Social Bookmarking tools

When you are browsing an interesting/fun/useful website, how will you save it? I used to use the bookmaker on my browser, but recently I have tried two other excellent tools which can help me save websites. They are Diigo and Pinterest. They can be used as book markers, but they are more than that.

Highlighting text:
I was so impatient when I was revisiting websites to find a few useful sentences I have read. Now I don’t need to worry about it, because I know the information I want were already highlighted in Diigo where I saved the website. There are various colors you can choose

to highlight the texts and you can see your notes from any computer, the only thing you need to do is to log in Diigo. Compared to Diigo, there is weakness of Pinterest in this function because you cannot highlight here.

Multiple tags:
You can attach multiple tags using both of Diigo and Pinterest, but tags are more apparent to see in Diigo. You can choose tags when you bookmark a website in Diigo, and there are many tags related to the tag you put recommended to you. In Pinterest, you can add tags when you upload a pin, but it may take you a while to find the tag place.

Copying and Pasting from Original Article:
Ctrl-C, then Ctrl –V: you can copy and past anything in both Diigo and Pinterest.

Commenting:
You can post comments as notes when you are highlighting on the website in Diigo. The notes are kept private, so others cannot see your comments of the websites. It is easier to see others’ comments on Pinterest if you upload a pin. All of comments are in the pin page, and you can respond to the comments.

Following& Messaging
Both of these two platforms allow you to follow others or get followed, but Pinterest is more user-friendly. You can follow a person or a board by just clicking the ‘follow’ button. On your profile page in Pinterest, you can see apparently your followings and followers. In Pinterest, you can message to others directly or by commenting. In Diigo, the only method of messaging is commenting.

Suggestions:
You can discover some great places to visit based on your interests in both of Diigo and Pinterest. From my experience, I think it is easier to find the people or boards you want to follow in Pinterest. Another feature of Pinterest I like is that you can see who also upload the same website when you are uploading a pin, so you can find some people may share some interest with you.


I believe both Diigo and Pinterest will be beneficial to my future teaching. To me, Diigo looks more professional, so I will choose Diigo if I need to collect some useful websites and take a lot notes for academic purpose. Pinterest will be my choice if I want to borrow some ideas from other teachers, so I will use it more casually. Both of them can help us teachers discover new things and generate creative ideas.

Comments

  1. I like that you mentioned how superior these tools are to conventional browser bookmarking. They really do crush the competition. You also mentioned just having to log onto Diigo. I love being able to do it from my phone as well!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts